Why Establish a Center of Excellence in Diabetes?
If your hospital, medical practice or healthcare institution is interested in improving diabetes care in your community by dev eloping a Center of Excellence in diabetes, Joslin Diabetes Center, a global leader in diabetes research, treatment and education can offer you a partnership to develop the best and most cost-effective services for your patients.
The facts speak for themselves:
- An estimated 25.8 million Americans have diabetes, and an estimated 79 million people ages 40 - 74 have "pre-diabetes."
- People with diagnosed diabetes cost the nation an estimated $245 billion, including direct medical expenses and the cost of reduced productivity.
- Type 2 diabetes develops primarily in overweight people who are over 40. An aging population and an increasingly sedentary lifestyle will contribute to the growing number of people who will develop this disease in the future.
- Diabetes is a chronic disease which results in admissions to your hospital and outpatient centers for eye disease, kidney failure, heart disease, vascular and foot problems, and more.
- On average, a person with diabetes spends nearly four times as much money on healthcare as someone who does not have diabetes.
- Recent research has shown conclusively that the risk of certain costly and debilitating diabetes complications — including eye, kidney and nerve damage — can be decreased by 50 percent or more through effective disease management which enables people with diabetes to keep their blood sugars as close to normal as possible.
Good blood sugar control requires an in-depth understanding of the disease and patient motivation, supported by a team of clinicians experienced in diabetes management.
Excellent diabetes control also has potential short-term complications — low blood sugars — which require the resources of a specialized diabetes disease management team if the patient is to minimize these problems and gain the maximum long term health benefit.
The medical complexity of diabetes requires specially trained health care professionals as well as the range of services which a quality hospital can provide. With a Joslin Diabetes program, you can demonstrate to insurers how your diabetes program can provide excellent, yet cost-effective, diabetes management that can prevent costly short and long-term complications.
By establishing a Joslin Center of Excellence in diabetes developed with the help of the Joslin Diabetes Center, your institution can be positioned to treat a growing population of patients with diabetes who need you most.
Grand Opening of Joslin's Newest Affiliates
Hallmark Health System - Melrose-Wakefield Hospital, Melrose, MA
Doctors Hospital at Renaissance, Edinburg, TX
AtlantiCare, Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Hallmark Health, Medford, MA
St. Joseph Medical Center, Houston, TX
Information on the Benefits of Becoming a Joslin Affiliate
FAQ about Joslin Affiliated
Joslin Affiliation News Articles
Page last updated: February 17, 2019